An application letter or a cover letter is a form of formal communication between an individual and an organisation, whereby he appeals for something or applies for a service. Since it’s a formal letter and often helps in creating the first impression, it is important to follow some steps while writing an application letter.
- The first paragraph should state the subject clearly
- Keep the letter brief and to the point, avoiding long sentences
- The language must have a formal tone
- The body of the letter provides you with an opportunity to present yourself or your intention to the reader
- If you are writing a job application, tell the reader about your present job and why you are looking to move on, emphasizing on your skills
- The conclusion should round the letter off, leaving the reader with a positive image
- It should sum up briefly what you mentioned in the body of the letter
- You can mention any items you are enclosing for the reader’s perusal.